I took a trip northwest on February 20, 2023 to visit some of our regional covered bridges. I saw 5 of them in a 3 hour period, as they were very close together. The Mansfield Covered Bridge The Mansfield Covered Bridge is a Double Burr Arch double span truss bridge located on Mansfield Road (historic) and Big Raccoon Creek in Mansfield southeast of Rockville in Parke County, Indiana. Built by Joseph J. Daniels in 1867 at a cost of $12,200. At 279 ft (85 m) it is the second longest covered bridge left in Parke County. This Historic Site rest on land provided by Luke Moody, of Parke County, Indiana and is open to the public all year. History Built for a time during which only wagons, horses and pedestrians used the bridge, the Mansfield Bridge has a 10-short-ton (9.1 t) load limit. The bridge had been used for State Route 59 and in one recorded story, three loaded oil trucks approached the bridge together. The first truck stalled out just before leaving the bridge, and all three trucks came to a stop on the two spans. There was no apparent damage to the strong structure. The arches combined with the truss are able to support more weight than needed so the limit is in the decking and material used for it. Mansfield Bridge was closed in 1980 for repair to the abutments, roof and decking. The roof and decks were replaced again in October 1990 by the Parke County Highway Department. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978
Bridgeton Covered Bridge
The first Bridgeton covered bridge was a double-span Burr Arch bridge built in 1868 by a crew led by J. J. Daniels. It was closed to traffic in 1967. It was built to replace two prior open wooden bridges that had fallen in. After its destruction by fire, it was replaced in 2006 by a reproduction. The first bridge to be built was of open design with wood rails and piers. While crossing the first bridge Owen Wimmer and his family were dropped into the mill pond along with their wagon and team when the bridge fell in. J.H. Kerr and others were able to rescue them. A second bridge of similar construction was erected at the same site. This bridge fell in also just after J.H. Kerr had driven cattle across. The covered bridge was then built in 1868, at the same location, just above the mill dam, with the abutments attached to the dam structure. Three people submitted bids in 1868, for the contract to build the bridge, these bids would include three different styles of bridges. One bid was from a Mr. Epperson using an Howe Plan for $16,000. Wheelock and McCoy submitted two plans, one was to use a Burr Plan for $17,400 and the second using a Smith Plan for $10,200. Ultimately the bid was awarded to J. J. Daniels and his Burr Plan for $10,200. The “Daniels Portals” were to be later squared off and, after the bridge’s closing in 1967, to traffic, benches and steps were added at the portals.
The Neet Covered Bridge is a Burr Arch single span structure that was built by Joseph J. Daniels in 1904 over Little Raccoon Creek southwest of Rockville, Indiana. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. History This was the last bridge contracted by Joseph J. Daniels, he was 78 at the time, though he may have been the builder of the Roseville-Coxville Covered Bridge built 6 years later that had been contracted by J.P. Van Fossen. He would have been 84 years old by this time.
The McAllister Covered Bridge is a Burr Arch structure that was built by Joseph A. Britton and Son in 1914. It is 144 feet (44 m) long, 16 feet (4.9 m) wide, and 14 feet (4.3 m) high. It is found in Adams Township, Parke County, Indiana, United States.
The Crooks Covered Bridge is a single span Burr Arch Truss structure that crosses Little Raccoon Creek built in 1855-1856 by Henry Wolf just southeast of Rockville, Indiana. History The exact history of this bridge has become hazy with the passing of time. A couple of different sources give varying years as to when certain things may have happened; what is consistent is that the bridge was moved from its original location sometime after 1863 maybe due to the road being abandoned. Some claim that the bridge actually washed downstream to its new location where new abutments were put under it and a road built to it. Still others claim that because the creek changed its course the bridge had to be dismantled and moved. Yet another claim is that General Arthur Patterson, one of the founders of Rockville, had the bridge rebuilt by J.J. Daniels in 1867 after a viewing committee, which included Daniels, recommended it be rebuilt. Daniels also recommended moving the bridge to the Darroch’s Site because it was thought to be safe from flooding. This proved false though when the bridge had to be repaired in 1875 after being damaged by flooding